Maple Syrup Program for Early Years, Grades 1, 2, and 3.
Maple syrup season is just around the corner. Join us for our exciting, interactive, hands-on learning experience while you complete specific expectations of the Ontario curriculum. This program covers a range of both overall and specific expectations from the strands in Science and Technology, Mathematics, Social Studies, Language, Personal and Social Development.The making of maple syrup is a Canadian tradition.
All stations allow the students an up-close hands-on experience.
Our dynamic tour includes:
* “tap” a tree – using our ‘safe’ hand drill (brace and bit) with instructor assistance to drill the hole, attach the spile and hang the bucket
*collect maple sap (students have their own small bucket to gather the sap)
*see the change from sap to syrup in our evaporator in the Sugar Shack
* understand the basic concept of making maple syrup
* taste freshly made maple syrup
* compare past and present methods of processing maple syrup
* learn how to identify a maple tree
* enjoy a tractor drawn hay ride through the sugar bush.
* all tours are age appropriate
* very experienced, knowledgeable, connecting instructors will lead your group through our exciting program answering all questions.
* nature and ecology appreciation
* use your senses – see, smell, hear, touch and taste
Bookings and Fees
Ideal for: pre-school age children, early years, junior grades, family gatherings, youth and adult groups.
Pre-arranged school and group tours only. Length: 1.5 to 2 hour tour
(Note: drop in tours are not available)
Dates available: March 1 through to April 15
2013 School Group Program Fee:
including hst $10.00/student (fee break down $8.85 + $1.15 hst = $10.00)
(no charge for teachers and adult volunteers)
Family and Group Tours:
Please call or email for your specific group fees depending on the size of your group and nature of your goals.
Enjoy our delicious pancake meal as an “add-on”
Includes 5 pancakes, real maple syrup from our sugar bush, carrots, juice and coffee.
$5.65/person ($5.00 + .65 hst = $5.65)
Please note you must book your exciting tour in advance by calling the office 519 471-3799.
We hope you can join us this spring!
Click the following link for a printable PDF flyer with table of curriculum connections on page 2